Give a Gift of Stock
The Foundation can accept different types of publicly traded securities, including stocks, bonds, mutual fund units and shares, and Income Trust Units. Securities must be listed on designated stock exchanges (TSX, NYSE, London Stock Exchange).
To donate shares, please contact Daniel Clapin at 613-526-7194 or email him at email@example.com. Instructions are listed below.
Important information about donating shares to the Perley Rideau
The Foundation strongly recommends that you consult with your own financial advisor before initiating any type of donation. This will ensure that you receive professional advice that is tailored to your personal financial and tax situation.
The fair market value of your gift of shares is based on the closing market price on the day that they are received in Perley Rideau Foundation’s account. You will receive a tax receipt based on the fair market value of the securities.
Donating stocks, bonds and shares can reduce the cost of your gift. When you donate stock to Perley Rideau (transferred "whole", not sold first with cash donated), you avoid paying tax on your capital gains.
The gift costs you less than if you were to sell your stocks in order to give cash. If the securities are sold and the cash is then donated to the Foundation, 50% of the capital gain is taxable.
How to Transfer a gift of stock
- Contact Daniel Clapin, Executive Director and let him know of your intent to make such a donation. Daniel Clapin can be reached at 613-526-7194 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact your financial advisor or broker. In most cases, you will need to provide written authorization stating your intent to transfer securities from your account to the Foundation’s account. A Direction and Notification of Gift Securities Document is included
or may be available from your broker. Your advisor or broker will require the following account details to transfer stock is via a book based transfer (BBS):
- Once you determine which stock is to be transferred, including the number of shares, the name of the corporation(s), and the proposed date of transfer, your broker should notify the following:
Chris Stuart, c/o Doherty & Assoc. Ltd – email@example.com (613-238-6727)
Irene Buenaobra, c/o NBCN – firstname.lastname@example.org (416-507-9514)
Daniel Clapin, c/o Perley Rideau – email@example.com (613-526-7197)
Canadian securities should be delivered to CDS FINs T080 (CUID: NBCS) client account number 6C77WWA at National Bank Correspondent Network (NBCN), 130 King Street West, 30th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5X 1J9.
- US Securities should be delivered to DTC #5008, client account number 6C77WWB. Dealer code for transfer of mutual funds is 9822.
- This will initiate a book base transfer (BBS) the day of the fax, or whatever date is most suitable for you. Again, the receipt will be based on the value of the securities as at the close of business on the day they are received by the Foundation.
- It is not necessary for your advisor to re-register the share certificates for gifting purposes – retain shares in book base form with the financial institution.
- Once the transfer is complete, the Perley Rideau Foundation will deliver your official income tax receipt.